The Northwest is facing one of the worst energy crisis of the century this summer. As unbelievable as it may sound, we are having a drought year, coupled with energy deregulation laws in California that have us posed to send energy cost through the roof.
Our Governor has requested that we cut our energy consumption by 10% to aid in this grave situation. In order to help toward this goal, I’ve researched some energy efficient solutions that you could implement for your upcoming home projects this summer or perform simple tasks like replace those incandescent bulbs with energy efficient alternative and save $10-$15 a year for each bulb replaced.
Summer Gas Saving Tips!
- Vacation Close to Home, Camp at a nearby park this year
- Take Virtual Tours: Natural History or the Smithsonian
- General Gas Saving Tips
Quick and Easy Energy Saving Tips
- Use a Programmable Thermostat:set back the temperature when your not home.
- Keep the sun, lights, and appliances away from thermostat.
- Hang a damp wet sheet inside a sunny summer window to cool the house.
- Cook in self-heating appliances such as a microwave oven or electric frying pan.
- In the Summer months use kitchen/bathroom exhaust fans to reduce humidity.
- In the Winter months increase the Humidity by using a pan of water on a hot surface.
- Close shades on the sunny side of house.
- Draw shades on cloudy days and open them on sunny days.
- Close fireplace damper when not in use.
- Clean furnace filter once a month.
- When cooking cover pots with tight-fitting lids.
- Boil only the amount of water needed for tea or coffee
- Thaw frozen foods before cooking.